Climate Data Scientist
We are developing the world’s most comprehensive platform for delivering extreme climate risk data and analysis. Aligned to our standard, our data exchange indexes and provides billions of data points related to climate, geophysical, and socioeconomic risk. This data exchange powers large scale visualization, delivery into our analytics engines for financial stress testing and report generation, and acts as a data provider directly into partner integrations. Clients will depend on our platform for deriving auditable insights and quantifying uncertainty through advanced stress testing and reporting features.
Riskthinking.ai helps business leaders and policy-makers understand risk under extreme uncertainty by providing them with forward-looking, algorithmically generated scenarios that are refined through structured expert judgment processes. We have a global client base, and an elite advisory and executive team, driving radical climate action through disclosure of climate-related financial risk.
You will work as part of the Climate Data Team at Riskthinking.ai and will be instrumental in improving the quality and availability of the data used in our scenario products. This includes compiling, interpreting, evaluating, and presenting climate data in innovative ways, and contributing to the improvement and augmentation of the data using machine learning approaches. We are building high-quality tools and vibrant communities of experts to support decision-makers to develop plans and policies that account for and minimize the risks that they face due to climate change. We want you to help us make that vision a reality!
- Ability to bridge the gap between climate science and the needs of our clients and partners
- Strong organizational and documenting abilities
- High-level proficiency in Python and/or R related to climate science and climate data handling
- High-level proficiency with visualisation libraries related to climate science and climate data
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Thrive in a cooperative, fast-paced, and dynamic environment
- Are a careful researcher who is able to translate technical climate science into plain language
- Have strong quantitative and qualitative and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Pride yourself on attention to detail
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and within a team environment
- Willing to be flexible with job duties
- Collaborative, curious, trustworthy, and have a good sense of humour.
We recognize there are many paths to success in climate research and data analytics, but we suspect the strongest candidates will have experience in at least one of the following categories:
- Through a graduate-level degree program in a climate change focused discipline such as Earth Science or Computer Science with an interest in earth science/climatology.
- 2 Years experience in climate research or related position
- Due to the nature of this role and our maturity as a company, all applicants must have permanent work authorization prior to applying. We are not able to sponsor or transfer employment visas (e.g. H-1B).
- Must have the ability to work remotely
We evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] and we will be in contact.